Sunday, April 14, 2013

Decker UMC

I've gone to a facility near Austin several times in the last two years for dog shows.  The route to the facility takes me by this pictuersque little church and I always want to stop and read the marker, and of course, make pictures.  Yesterday I finally had a chance to stop and explore. 


The community of Decker is about 8 miles east of downtown Austin, Texas.  The first settlers in this area were Swedish immigrants who arrived around 1867.  They worshipped in churches in Austin until 1871 when the Reverend C.C. Charnquist began to preach in homes; a church would be built and dedicated on Pentecost Sunday, 1879. In 1884 the church was enlarged and a parsonage was built.  By this time there was also a public school in the community; by 1907 there were two teachers and sixty students in the school. There was a community cemetery, as well as the one next to the church.

The church's bell - I wonder if they still ring it on special occasions
The current building was built between 1901 and 1902 under the pastorate of Reverend C.O.Freeman, with the modern addition (on the right) being added in 1967.

This is the side of the church, looking somewhat northeast.  I'm not sure what happened with the siding, it appears to be storm damage, but it does reveal a layer of a prior type of siding.

Whether you are traveling north or south on Decker Lane the view of the church is charming. There has only been limited development around the church, so I feel like it still looks much like it did a hundred years ago.


As luck would have it, they were having a family reunion in the church so there were cars blocking the view for pictures, and I didn't want to explore around too much and intrude on the gathering. But the next time I go by I will stop again.  (Go to church's website to see a picture of the church without cars.)

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Roy rings the bell every Sunday morning at 10:15!

    ReplyDelete