|Remains of the front gate|
|These snake "apartments" featured steam heat to keep the snakes comfortable!|
|Side of main entrance|
South Texas was hit with a severe drought in the 1940's and snakes became scarce. When the San Antonio Zoo opened their Reptile House the remaining snakes at the garden would be transferred to it in 1942. The garden would switch to alligators as a substitute attraction; from 1952 until its closure in 1975 the garden displayed alligators and crocodiles. The snake garden closed when the manager, George Kimbrell, retired and took his collection to Arkansas.