Mission San Jose was established in 1720, by the Catholic Church and Spain for the purpose of transforming natives into loyal, productive Spanish citizens in an effort to establish colonies in this part of New Spain. Mission San Antonio de Valero had been founded in 1718 and three other missions would later be relocated from East Texas. This group of missions were moderately successful in their mission work. Mission San Jose was relocated to this location in 1740.
After secularization was completed in 1824 San Jose would fall into disrepair. Fortunately, through the work of the San Antonio Conservation Society, federal New Deal agencies, state and local agencies the mission was saved from destruction. Today the five missions form the San Antonio Missions National Park.
|Interior of the granary|
|Side view of granary (entrance is just beyond the first buttress)|