Saturday, February 27, 2016

McNay Art Museum (Marion Koogler McNay house)

The doors of Marion Koogler McNay's home still welcome visitors today just as they did when the home was completed in 1929.  Upon her death in 1950 she left her home, the 23 surrounding acres and her extensive art collection to be preserved as an art museum. Her goal was to make her museum "a place of beauty with the comforts and warmth of a home."
The entrance hall

The 24 room Spanish Colonial-Revival house was designed by San Antonio architects Atlee and Robert Ayers. Mrs. McNay closely supervised every detail of the design and construction. She designed and applied stencils, tiles and other decorative touches such as antique wrought-iron lamps and chandeliers.

The McNay Art Musuem opened in 1954 as the first museum of modern art in Texas; the attached Jane and Arthur Stieren Center for Exhibitions was opened in 2008.

Mrs. McNay paid equal attention to the planning of the gardens around the home.  A beautiful courtyard with Koi pond and outdoor fireplace offers a serene spot to stop for a few quiet minutes.

The McNay curates almost 20,000 pieces of art, including the core 700 pieces of Mrs. McNay's collection.  Viewers are delighted with Picasso, Monet, and Van Gough as well as works by modern artists.
Currently on exhibit is this rendering of an artist's studio.  Everything is made with cardboard, glue, and black paint.  No detail is overlooked.  Delightful!