|201 E Kleberg Avenue, Kingsville Texas|
Shortly before his death in 1908 he sold the lots and store to the newly created John B. Mercantile Company. This entity commissioned Victoria architect Jules Carl Leffland to design this 2-story building that opened in 1909. Mainly Italianate in style it also reflects Gothic Revival and Mission Revival influences. The structure is considered to be transitional as it features both late 19th century and early 20th century architectural elements.
Raglands, as it was known, became the leading mercantile in Kingsville and opened another store in McAllen. The first floor operated as a store selling dry goods, millinery, clothing, and shoes while the second floors contained office space and community rooms. In 1950 ownership was transferred to King Ranch, Inc. and an extensive modernization transformed the building inside and out. Much of the original facade was obscured and the interior completely gutted.
Raglands would continue to prosper until the late 1970's when the downtown district suffered from economic decline caused by new malls and franchises operating elsewhere in town. An extensive restoration began in 1989 and today the store closely resembles its original exterior appearance. Due to the unavailability of certain materials and structural changes that prevented restoration slight changes were necessary, but the building retains its original character.